Our students are gradually introduced to the British and American culture by using the books called Green Line 3 to 6. In Secondary, the English language learning begins in seventh grade and ends in twelfth grade. In the upper grades (11th and 12th) we work with a book called Green Line ‘Oberstufe’ and we also read classic literature, such as Shakespeare, Orwell, Steinbeck and many more. In the lower grades (7th, 8th, 9th and 10th) the students read books according to their English level and we work with songs, films and games.
The school uses the ‘Communicative Method’ with the objective of teaching the students the four basic skills: reading, writing, listening and speaking. The students have English class four times a week.
The English grade is calculated as follows
- 2 written exams per semester for the ‘I – groups’, as they are being prepared for the ABITUR (German diploma).
- In the A/B classes the students take three exams; one exam per period and they read a book and prepare a reading log at the end of the term.
- Every single group has got written tests and an oral grade based on their participation in class and their oral presentations that had been prepared beforehand.
- The 11th and 12th grade students are invited to the University Fair or some of their representatives come to school and talk about their institutions.
- Some classes occasionally go to the movies (e.g. The Hunger Games) and for 2015, the Department is planning to invite story tellers for the lower graders.
The English Department can advise students on
- Canadian and American Universities
- Summer Camps
- English books – Calle 70 No. 5-23 phone number: 2177788
- TOEFL and SAT
- Web page in internet called ‘Englisch Hilfe’