1922: In February 1922, the campus called “Deutsche Schule in Bogotá – German School” opened its doors, thus fulfilling the founders’ wish to offer German and Colombian children the possibility of having access to the German language and culture.The soul of this initiative was Mr. Anton Kraus, who entrusted the task to the German teacher Elisabeth Schrader. This teacher spent two years at the head of the school and, later, moved on to the German School in New York.Forty Colombian and German children, including Mr. Kraus’ children and those of the school’s other founders, began classes in German according to German programs in a rented house on Calle 15 and Carrera 9.Later, Professor Fritz Gericke, a graduate of the German school service, was hired as the school’s principal. From the first year of operation, another six teachers were hired.
This promising start was possible thanks to the support of the German community in Bogotá and to the collaboration that Mr. Kraus received from interested and committed people, such as Mr. Ernesto Schmidt-Mumm and Mr. Carlos Winz. The German Government offered its help from the beginning, with financial contributions and leaves of absence granted to German teachers so the school could hire them.